While designing your bedroom, you must not ignore the flooring. It has a huge impact on the overall bedroom interior design. There are plenty of options available in the market. You should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of these flooring materials so that you can make the right decision. While some options are expensive and luxurious, others are standard and economical.
Depending on your taste and preferences, you should make a decision. If you are not aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the various flooring materials, here are a few details about the most common types of flooring materials:
Laminate flooring is very commonly used in bedroom decor. It is made from wood materials and often confused with vinyl flooring.
- This is comparatively cheaper than wooden flooring. People looking for economical options can choose this.
- Installation is very easy. Requires very little time and effort.
- Laminate flooring has a long lifespan. It is a very durable material
- Compared to other materials, it is quite eco-friendly
- Although it can mimic other materials, you can identify it if you look closely.
- Does not have a high resale value
- It cannot be refinished. Hence, it needs to be replaced over time.
- The patterns seem repeated
Hardwood flooring advantages and disadvantages
Hardwood flooring has a very luxurious look. The most common options are oak flooring, maple flooring, and cherry flooring. Other options for your bedroom interiors include bamboo, ash, walnut, and mahogany.
- When required, you can get it refinished
- People opt for hardwood flooring for a very luxurious and opulent look
- Reclaimed options are available so that it is eco-friendly
- Increases the home’s resale value
- It is quite expensive compared to its alternatives
- You cannot install it yourself. Professional help is required.
- Not resistant to water damage. Can bend or warp over time
- Some options are not durable
- Not compatible with radiant heating
Engineered hardwood flooring
In engineered hardwood flooring, the base has plywood and the top has a real-wood veneer. Hence, it mimics the look of hardwood and has more space for contraction and expansion than hardwood flooring.
- This type of flooring looks exactly like real wood flooring
- Compared to hardwood flooring, it is easier to install.
- Compared to laminate floors, it increases the release value of the home
- This is more eco-friendly compared to solid wood
- It is compatible with radiant heating
- It cannot be installed without the help of a professional
- It is quite expensive. The cost is similar to real wood flooring
- If required, it can be refinished
- Not resistant to water damage. Can bend and warp over time
Sheet Vinyl flooring
This type of flooring does not contain wood materials like the rest. It is a synthetic flooring material for your bedroom interiors that proves to be advantageous in various ways to homeowners.
- There are various price options available
- Installation requires very little time and effort.
- Has a high resistance against water.
- It requires very little maintenance
- It is not considered the healthiest option as it can exude VOCs like paint
- It is not an eco-friendly option
- In case it gets damaged, getting it repaired can be very difficult
- Does not increase the resale value of the home by much
- If you drag furniture around, the floor can get damaged
- It is not compatible with radiant heating
Vinyl tile and plank
Vinyl plank flooring is a synthetic flooring type for your bedroom decor. It has various layers and is made of PVC. However, it comes in planks like hardwood. This is commonly used in both residential and commercial spaces.
- It is a versatile option and can be used almost anywhere
- It mimics the look of wood plank or stone tile
- Does not require a lot of maintenance
- Can be installed by gluing it down with adhesives.
- You will easily get various colour and design options available in the market
- This flooring type is very durable
- It is a great choice for places that stays exposed to moisture
- If this flooring is installed over concrete flooring, it might get very cold during winters
Tile flooring is one of the most popular options.
- Increases the aesthetic appeal of your home
- You can easily find it in various colours and styles
- It is a very durable material
- Highly resistant to water
- Repairing it is easy
- Can be an expensive option
- Requires the assistance of a professional for installation
- Can get cracked or chipped
- Can get quite cold during winters